Thursday, December 7, 2006

Through God's Eyes


These thoughts have been chasing themselves through my mind for some time now. As I was reading a book today, the questions were again piqued and I had to try to wrestle with them.
I have dealt with- and still deal with- comparison. I judge myself to be better than some in certain areas and less than others in other ways. My skills are not flowery or obvious. I look at those with creative genius, whether from birth or through practice, with envy. I see how we are the product of our upbringing in many ways, that shapes who we are and what we feel we have to offer others.
In God's plan, however, I am beginning to see that he sees differently than I do. He creates us, and places us in a family. Some families nurture, some do not. Some emphasize creative gifts or academics, others do not. Some families pass on inheritances, leaving their children well-to-do, other families struggle day to day. The result of our upbringing molds us, but it does not effect who we are in the sight of God.
I can't lead a congregation in worship, but God is delighted in me. I can't sew, can't draw, can't sing, but I am perfect in my Father's eyes. God's measuring stick differs so greatly from mine. Who I am in this world is not dependent on the abilities I have or don't have. The worth of others is not measured by their abilities, net worth, or personal charisma. We are a people created for God, for His glory. As I move in freedom, content in who God made me, I am fulfilling my purpose. That is all He asks me to do- simply be who I was created to be!

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

Amen sister! I struggle with the same things. Thank you for the great reminder!

Anonymous said...

You express yourself so well, Charity. I too struggle with the same feelings. The Bible says that everyone has a gift but I'm starting to think that I got skipped over. Of course, I know that's not true but I'm praying that God reveals it to me soon.
BTW, I'm really impressed that you're taking care of Ezra, blogging AND reading to boot!
-jo

Anonymous said...

Charity, good thoughts. I think we are all held captive by camparisons. It is a good reminder to embrace the Lord and His truth. When the focus gets off of me and onto Him I am able to see the broad blessings life holds. Angel